What's the goal of The Science of Running?
I started this website at a college student looking to understand every aspect of performance at the deepest level. That goal still persists. What follows is hundreds of articles and hours of podcast recordings. Resources coalesced over a decade of coaching, researching, teaching, and writing. All designed for one reason: to help you–coach, athlete, or simply person– get better. Let's get started!
How to use The Science of Running
There are three main components:
- The Blog and Articles
- The Podcasts
- The Coaches Education
- Discussion and Interaction
The blog has hundreds of articles aimed at helping you understanding every aspect of running and coaching. From physiology to psychology, from workout design to periodization. All free to access.
The blogs are arranged into the following categories to help:
- The Foundation of Knowledge: Recommended Reads
- Section 1: A Philosophy of Coaching
- Section 2: The History of Endurance Training
- Section 3: Teaching and Learning
- Section 4: The Mental Game- Understanding People and Ourselves
- Section 5: The World of Science
- Section 6: The Mechanics of Athletics
- Section 7: The Training Details
Coaches Steve Magness and Jon Marcus team up to bring you an insider's view on coaching. Taking you inside the thoughts and conversations that usually occur behind the scenes. They bring a diverse background having both worked with athletes at the collegiate and professional level. They hope to bring a mixture of science, old-fashioned wisdom, and a touch of philosophy to help understand the process of coaching and maximizing endurance performance.
Performance coaches and bestselling authors Brad Stulberg and Steve Magness host a podcast on peak performance and well-being that is different than all others. Instead of focusing on "hacks" or nonsense bro-science they delve deep into what actually works, at least according to years of science, wisdom, and the experiences of the world's best. A mix of news analysis, concrete tips, and interviews, The Growth Equation podcast is a must-listen for those interested in getting the most out of themselves, success, and fulfillment.
Coaching Education is a broken model. It's static, stuck in an old school model of certification courses designed to give you a certificate proudly proclaiming that you know something about coaching. They are almost all physiologically based, looking at the individual not as a person but as a science experiment for us to apply some formula in the hopes of a certain result. That's not what coaching is or what we want it to be. Coaches don't want a certificate; we want to understand. We want to get better at our craft.
In partnership with coach Jon Marcus, I've create the Scholar Mentorship Program. A one of a kind online coaches education program designed to deliver everything that you need to coach endurance athletes to their full potential.
What is the Scholar Mentorship Program?
A mentorship and University style educational program all in one.
A mentor is indispensable. They generously pass on their knowledge and wisdom to you, so that you can apply that to your own craft in your own unique way. In creating The Scholar Program, we wanted to do our best to mimic the benefits of having a mentor in the new online world.
- University Style Courses- Covering: Coaching and training philosophy, biomechanics, exercise science, psychology, workout development, and more!
- Office Hours- Regular online zoom meetings with coaches Steve Magness and Jon Marcus to aid in your mentorship. In addition, guest speakers will be part of the issue.
- Mentorship- At the completion of your courses, the opportunity to submit a project for demonstration of knowledge, followed by a mentorship program with Steve and Jon is available.
For more information on the Scholar Mentorship program, click here.