I get asked about what training books to read, so I’ve decided to come up with a list of the top training (textbooks excluded) I’ve read. It’s a subjective list but to add some objectivity my rankings will take into account how many pages of notes I took when reading the book (I have no life- I have like 400+pgs of handwritten notes).
I’ll add commentary later. The first time I made the list I had some, but then the computer messed up, so I’ll add it back later when I’m not lazy.
1. The Science of Winning- Jan Olbrecht- Yes a swimming book
2. A scientific Approach to the Marathon- Canova and Arcelli
3. Renato Canova letsrun.com Notes- not a book, but if you read all of them might as well be
4. Swimming Fastest- Maglischo- Make that 2 swimming books in the top 4. Yes I’m crazy
5. Better Training For Distance Runners- Coe and Martin
6. Mechanics of Athletics- Dyson
7. Training My Way- Harry Wilson
8. Running to the Top (or Running the Lydiard Way)- Lydiard
9. Road to The Top- Vigil
10. Rowing Faster- Yes a rowing book too.
11. Long Distance and Middle Distance Series by Jess Jarver- collection of books with articles
12. Run, Run, Run- Wilt
13. Running: The Athlete Within- Costil
14. The Competitive Runners Training Book- Dellinger
15. How They Train- Wilt- great book but ranks lower b/c just schedules
16. Daniels Running Formula- Daniels
17. Training With Cerutty- Myers
18. Run With the best- Benson and Ray
19. Van Aaken Method
20. Run Strong- Beck
21. Run to Win- Kenyan Training Secrets
22. Running Tough- just workouts
23. The Cutting Edge Runner
24. Fast Track- Hamilton
25 . The Runners book of training Secrets
26. Precision Heart Rate Training
27 . Runners World Complete Book of Running
There ya go. I’m sure I’ll get some criticism, but it’s welcome.