“He’s a competitor!”

We’ve all had athletes that exemplified the act of competing. They show up on race day, run their guts out, rise to the occasion when it’s asked of them, and put their teammates on their back, instead of only being concerned with themselves. What makes up this ability? Is it innate? Research shows that about 40% of personality come from our genetics, while the other 60% develops from our experiences and upbringings. While that’s still somewhat of a gross simplification, the fact remains, that being a competitor is a skill that can be further refined and developed.

In this episode, we take on how to develop athletes as competitors. Why high school coaches, and parents, play a much larger role than the college or professional coach.

How we have to stop seeing coaching as workout creation when the reality is that’s a small part. Real coaching is knowing people, getting inside their heads, and teaching them that the goal of life is to be the best you can be, on that given day.

It starts with defining what success is. Is it a win, or is it defined by the effort put forth? From there, we go on to discuss toughness. Mental toughness is making the right decision under stress. It’s about staying under control, not the fake-toughness displayed out on the football field.

In this podcast a few of the topics covered:

  • Defining Success
  • Mental Toughness
  • Coaches have to take the high road
  • Knowing why you are coaching
  • Creating a culture
  • Keep perspective- Remind yourself how small you are in the world

Thanks for giving it a listen, and if you could do us a huge favor and rate the show on iTunes that would be great!

Steve and Jon


Resources Mentioned in this episode:

Top Dog by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman

The Architecture of Happiness by Alain de Botton


Subscribe on Stitcher

Subscribe on iTunes

Subscribe via E-mail

Like the content? Join 10,000 others to receive my weekly Performance Newsletter!

* indicates required
Episode 43: What’s it take to be a competitor?
Tagged on:

Leave a Reply

Time to learn how to be a faster runner! Enjoy your free lecture series.
Enter your information below to receive your free training Video. It’s an hour long lecture on the details behind running fast from 800 meters to the marathon!


Whoops, you're not connected to Mailchimp. You need to enter a valid Mailchimp API key.

There is nothing more gratifying or fulfilling than setting a goal on the outer boundaries of what we think is possible and then systematically pursuing it.

That’s what the Peak Performance Newsletter is all about: How to pursue our goals in every aspect of life. Sign up for our twice a month newsletters that are based on  real science, not bro science!

Whoops, you're not connected to Mailchimp. You need to enter a valid Mailchimp API key.