This is a MUST listen episode. In this weeks On Coaching with Magness & Marcus, we bring in NAU coach Mike Smith to talk about team culture and training. In this wide ranging and deep episode, we dive into a number of topics. Starting with how Mike took over a team that was the defending national champion to what mistakes in training we all make as a coach. There are so many worthwhile explorations in this conversation, including:
- The reason Mike took his team to play Laser Tag the night before the biggest regular season meet of the year.
- The idea of balancing tension and energy.
- Why a coach should be the passenger in the car, whsipering directions, instead of the driver.
- How elaborate racing plans set us up for failure.
- The best way to get in a flow state during racing.
- How expectations impact our training and racing.
- The most crucial part of team culture is a sense of belonging and having a role.
Mike’s list of books coaches should read:
- Daniel’s Running Formula by Jack Daniels
- Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett
- The Culture Engine
- Legends of the Fall
- Ernest Hemingway
- Comfortable with Uncertainty
- Tribe by Sebastian Junger
Above all, this conversation with Jon and Mike made me a better coach. Their are priceless nuggets of information sprinkled throughout the 90 minute conversation.
Thanks for listening, for more thoughts on coaching, follow us on social media:
Other Resources Mentioned:The Science of Running Book
Peak Performance and “just manageable challenges”
Kenny Moore’s Best Efforts
Subscribe and Listen on: