In this episode of the On Coaching Podcast we go back in time, to our high school coaching days. Both of us got our start coaching in the high school ranks and we take a look back at what we got right, what we would change, and the challenges that coaches now face. We cover everything from team culture to the details of training.
- Utilizing constraints to your advantage (6min)
- Creating culture through principles (7min)
- Tony Parker and the San Antonio Spurs culture (17min)
- The importance fo the message you are sending and the words you use (22min)
- What changes in training (30min)
- Teaching movement instead of relying on volume
- Recruiting kids to join the team (37min)
- “Get back to me in 20 years and I’ll know if I did my job right or not”- The importance of holistic development
- Improvement vs. Development (46min
- Don’t focus on keeping status
- Lack of being coachable is driven by insecutiry (54min)
Resources Mentioned on this weeks episode:
Principles by Ray Dalio
The Captain Class by Sam Walker
Long Term Athlete Development: A Case Study of a 9:15 HS 2-miler to 2:16 marathoner
Visit our Sponsor
Final Surge is a training log designed for athletes, coaches, and teams. They are giving listeners of the podcast 10% off by using the coupon code ONCOACHING
For coaches, it makes assigning workouts and designing training plans a breeze. It allows copious amounts of feedback from athletes, and even a message board for your athletes to interact, creating team bonding from afar. For athletes, it’s a sophisticated log that can track just about everything.
How do we know it’s good? I utilize Final Surge with my athletes as a way to plan, track, and receive feedback on all of their training. It streamlines the process of coaching and makes it where I don’t miss a run, workout, or nagging injury that pops up.
For athletes, it’s free to use. For coaches, there’s a monthly cost. They also have training plans designed by the pro’s, if you are looking for one!
Check out Final Surge and receive 10% off by visiting http://www.finalsurge.com/oncoaching and using the coupon code ONCOACHING