This weeks guest is elite runner Brian Barraza. Brian rose from a solid high school runner to the top of the ranks in the NCAA. In this wide-ranging conversation, we discuss how Brian dealt with failure on the biggest stage, the coping strategies he utilizes to get through the pain and discomfort of racing, and much more. This is a must listen for any person looking to understand the mental side of performance at the highest level. Brian gives us an honest appraisal of the highs and lows of trying to achieve your best.
- Pressing the reset button after failure (8min)
- “Calm, In-Control, Fast” the Mantra Brian repeated at NCAAs (17min)
- The Race- Brian takes us through his NCAA race where after leading the whole race, he fell on a steeple barrier on the final lap (18min)
- There’s always something to learn (22min)
- Make the most out of the days that you are struggling (23min)
- The Power of True Belief (26min)
- Coping Strategies for dealing with pain and fatigue (27min)
- The “Jedi Mind Trick” strategy
- Train where your mind goes (36min)
- Workouts- Are you training compliance or building an athlete’s abilities? (42min)
- Growing from Failure- The Importance of Reflection (46min)
- Exposing yourself to a variety of disciplines is the way to increase your skill set. (59min)
Resources Mentioned on this weeks episode:
Principles by Ray Dalio
Visit our Sponsor
Final Surge is a training log designed for athletes, coaches, and teams. They are giving listeners of the podcast 10% off by using the coupon code ONCOACHING
For coaches, it makes assigning workouts and designing training plans a breeze. It allows copious amounts of feedback from athletes, and even a message board for your athletes to interact, creating team bonding from afar. For athletes, it’s a sophisticated log that can track just about everything.
How do we know it’s good? I utilize Final Surge with my athletes as a way to plan, track, and receive feedback on all of their training. It streamlines the process of coaching and makes it where I don’t miss a run, workout, or nagging injury that pops up.
For athletes, it’s free to use. For coaches, there’s a monthly cost. They also have training plans designed by the pro’s, if you are looking for one!
Check out Final Surge and receive 10% off by visiting http://www.finalsurge.com/oncoaching and using the coupon code ONCOACHING