In this weeks On Coaching Podcast, we get into the details of burnout, both as a coach and an athlete. It’s easy to fall for the effort trap. Where we convince ourselves that out working others is the key to
- What does burnout feel like?
- What are the signs and symptoms of burnout?
- For “pushers”, rest is the most important antidote. But it’s not just any rest.
- Activities either empty or fill or emotional bucket. We all need to develop hobbies and past times that fill our bucket back up.
- Jon and Steve’s process of reading: Read similar to how you consume TV or music. Multiple books at once. Some for entertainment, others for education or knowledge.
- Don’t feel like you have to finish a book. Be able to step away if it’s losing your interest, or skip sections
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
- The Passion Paradox. Steve’s new book!
- GAIN Seminar
- Coaching and Care of Athletes by FA Webster
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- The Golden Mile: A Biography of Herb Elliott
- HPW Scholar Seminar
- Henry Miller On Writing
- MIT Sloan Conference- Discussion on Social Media Capturing Our Attention