In episode 102 of the On Coaching Podcast we take on the never-ending argument over volume versus intensity of training. We go back into the history books to look at the poster children of high volume training and high-intensity training to try to get to the root of the argument. A few key takeaways include:
- Everything bleeds together- Why energy system categories are overused.
- Why every distance runner should run 100 meters all-out
- “Check the box syndrome”- When we categorize training (i.e. Vo2max, lactate threshold, anaerobic power) we tend to cycle through workouts so that we can check them off as completed.
- Are you building or maintaining a component? How much does it take to do either?
- Can we develop speed and endurance at the same time?
Steve & Jon
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
- Running My Way by Harry Wilson
- The Foundation of Coaching Seminar– Learn the History of Endurance Training
- The Scholar Program- Jon and Steve’s Coaches education program!