Normally running is an achievement-focused sport. We’re trying to win races and run PR’s. We’re not going to have any achievement opportunities for the foreseeable future. How do we frame running and keep athletes motivated when achievement isn’t on the horizon. In this podcast we discuss:
- Adopting the “Old” model of racing and competition.
- How do you handle a 6-month block of not racing? What kind of workouts should you do? Where should your focus be?
- Learning from history: What Lydiard, the Flying Finn’s, and Zatopek can teach us about long blocks of training without racing.
Steve & Jon
Visit our Sponsor
Final Surge is a training log designed for athletes, coaches, and teams. They are giving listeners of the podcast 10% off by using the coupon code ONCOACHING
For coaches, it makes assigning workouts and designing training plans a breeze. It allows copious amounts of feedback from athletes, and even a message board for your athletes to interact, creating team bonding from afar. For athletes, it’s a sophisticated log that can track just about everything.
How do we know it’s good? I utilize Final Surge with my athletes as a way to plan, track, and receive feedback on all of their training.
Check out Final Surge and receive 10% off by visiting http://www.finalsurge.com/oncoaching and using the coupon code ONCOACHING
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
- Working from Home? Try these tips
- The Immune System and Exercise: What You Need to Know
- Lydiard Training
- Learning from Emil Zatopek
- The Foundation of Coaching Seminar– Learn the History of Endurance Training
- The Scholar Program- Jon and Steve’s Coaches education program!- For a FREE MONTH, use the COUPON: BetterTogether