The Middle Distance Events. That combination of speed and endurance makes them one of the most enjoyable but also challenging events to train for or coach. In this episode, we dive deep into the challenges of training for the 800m and 1,500m.
We walk you through:
- The wisdom of Percy Cerutty on coaching the mid-distance events.
- Our mount Rushmore of mid-distance coaches and how they influenced training.
- The balancing act- speed and endurance. How do you do it?
- Periodization- How it’s different in the mid-distance events and in the modern era.
- Training week examples from world-class milers and 800m runners.
- The Build and Maintain principle of coaching.
Steve & Jon
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
- How They Train: Middle Distances
- Better Training for Distance Runners by Peter Coe
- Cerutty: Middle Distance Running
- Joe Vigil’s Road to the Top
Visit our Sponsor
Want to up your coaching game? Try the HPW Scholar series. A massive library of coaching resources, courses, and podcasts that cover everything from training design, elite runners programs, and the psychology of performance. Updated every week with exclusive interviews, lectures, and training plans.
Visit the HPW Academy of Scholarship today!